Google Maps is a web mapping service developed by Google. It offers satellite imagery, aerial photography, street maps, 360° panoramic views of streets (Street View), real-time traffic conditions, and route planning for traveling by foot, car, bicycle and air (in beta), or public transportation. It works efficiently but sometimes some things or structures may have an incorrect address or appear to be in the wrong location or missing entirely.
If the information about a place in Google Maps is inaccurate, you can let them know directly. Earlier the edits were to be submitted to Map Maker Tool. You can change a place’s name or other details. You can add or edit info about a place, like the: Name, Address, Marker location, Hours or other facts. Google staff reviews all of your suggested edits before they take any effect.
You can also flag a place that:
- Is permanently closed
- Has moved to a new location
- Doesn’t exist (a place that either no longer exists or has never existed)
- Is a private place or home (a place that shouldn’t be displayed, like someone’s home)
- Is spam, fake or offensive (a fake business or a place with offensive content that shouldn’t be displayed)
- Is a duplicate (a place that’s a copy of another Google Maps place)
STEPS TO EDIT A LOCATION
- Select the place whose location has to be edited.
- Choose the Suggest an edit link.
- Select Open Google Maps in a browser or the mobile Google Maps app.
- To report a wrong or missing location to Google, search for the place you want to report or enter the address in the search field or click or touch the location on the map.
- Click the link that reads Suggest an edit. An edit box opens up.
- Select one of two options for editing the location: Change name or other details or Remove this place.
- Now select Edit or Remove Screen.
- When you click Change name or other details an editing screen containing the location name, category, street address, and a map showing the location, hours, phone number, and website URL will open.
- Do the necessary changes.
- Select Done to save the changes.
- Now press the Send button. A screen opens.
- Select a reason from the drop-down menu and select Send.
STEPS TO ADD A MISSING LOCATION
You can use the Add a missing place option to report a location that is missing entirely from Google Maps.
- Open Google Maps
- Go to the location that should have a new place added.
- Tap-and-hold where the new place should go.
- Choose Add a missing place from the menu.
- Enter the details such as the name, address, and category along with other relevant details for the new Google Maps place.
- Click Submit.
Now the request to add the new place in Google Maps is sent. Google Maps staffs review your new place and get it added to the map.