The proliferation of electronics with screens, as well as energy-efficient lighting, is increasing our exposure to blue wavelengths, especially after sundown. Although it is environmentally friendly, blue light can affect your sleep and potentially cause certain diseases. So using a filter is so important. Many monitors come with blue light filters but there are a number of third-party apps that you can use as well.
Microsoft has added a blue light filter option in its Windows 10 operating system. This feature was added in Windows 10 Build 15002. You get the choice to let Windows reduce blue light automatically or choose the settings manually.
- Search for Settings in the Windows 10 search box and open it or press the Windows key and X and then click Settings.
- Choose System from the menu.
- Click on Display from the left-hand menu.
- Toggle the Night light switch to on.
How to configure the Night light feature:
- Select the Night light settings.
- Using the Configuration you can turn the Night light on immediately, schedule timing for on/off of Night light and adjust the color temperature while the feature is enabled.
- Toggle the Schedule night light option to on to set the schedule.
- Choose to let Night light turn itself on at sunset and off at sunrise which is automatically determined by your location.
- To set the times manually click on Set hours. Then choose when the feature should turn on and off.
When you reduce the amount of blue light you can see the color change and the Night light feature will have a limited impact of using your Windows 10 PC late at night.
Apple brought Night Shift to MacOS in MacOS Sierra in March 2017. Night Shift uses your computer’s clock and geolocation to determine when it’s sunset in your location. It then automatically shifts the colors in your display to the warmer end of the spectrum. In the morning it returns the display to its regular settings.
- Open System Preferences.
- Select Displays
- Select the Night Shift tab.
How to configure the Night Shift feature:
- When the Night Shift feature will run you can configure it in the settings page.
- Turn it on until the next day’s sunrise.
- Also, set the color temperature according to your preferences.
Night Shift will make your display’s colors warmer and reduce the amount of blue light that’s emitted.
- Iris mini
Iris changes the color temperature of your display. Iris also changes your display brightness in an innovative way without PWM flickering. Iris Mini, on the other hand, is free.
SunsetScreen is a free (can be used for free in exchange for sharing PC resources) Windows app for personal use which helps take the glare off your screen in the evening. SunsetScreen allows you to set the time of the sunset and sunrise, so you can have full control over your sleep cycle.
f.lux makes your computer screen look like the room you’re in, all the time. When the sun sets, it makes your computer look like your indoor lights. In the morning, it makes things look like sunlight again. Tell f.lux what kind of lighting you have, and where you live. Then forget about it. f.lux will do the rest, automatically.