M4A is an audio-only file extension that stands for MPEG-4 audio layer. It has better quality than MP3 and it is often used on iOS devices like iPhone and iPod. Apple’s iTunes store offers DRM-free music as M4A files alongside AAC. Some of the programs that support this format are Windows Media Player, Quicktime, iTunes and Roxio Popcorn, Toast and Creator.
M4A is great for quality, but not for storage as MP3 is a little smaller than audio in M4A format, so you will be able to save some memory space. You may want to convert M4A audio to MP3 if you want to listen to the audio file on devices that do not support M4A. MP3 is the standard audio format so it is supported by most devices and media players and here’s how to do it.
STEPS TO CONVERT M4A ITUNES TRACKS TO MP3S
M4A FILE SELECTION
Cloud Convert is the best among the various cloud conversion sites.
- Go to its homepage and click the gray Select Files button.
- Select the desired M4A file you wish to convert.
- Alternatively, click and drag the file you wish to convert from its saved location into the site’s conversion window.
- Clicking the Select Files button directly will open up a File Explorer view of your system, from which you can select your file.
- Click the down button, where you can select from a number of other sources, such as DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, or a URL.
OUTPUT SETTINGS CUSTOMIZATION
After selecting your file the conversion options screen appears.
- Click on the file format arrow.
- Select the MP3 option from the list of audio formats. Cloud Convert automatically converts your file into an MP3 at a variable bit rate of between 220kbps and 250kbps. You can also give specifications according to your preference.
- To adjust the file’s output settings such as changing the number of audio channels, the sampling frequency etc. click on the wrench icon next to the drop-down menu.
- Then click the blue Okay button in the bottom-right corner.
- Click the red Start Conversion button on the right-hand side.
- When the conversion process finishes your file will be available for download. It takes about 10 seconds.
NEW MP3 DOWNLOAD
- The green Download button indicates that your MP3 file is available.
- Click directly on the button to save your file in the default downloads folder.
Options available from the drop-down arrow include creating a QR code for downloading to a mobile device. If you click on the Create archive button drop-down, you can include your files in a compressed file of a variety of types.
ANOTHER OPTION: ITUNES
iTunes being simple and easy to use is the best desktop app to convert M4A files to MP3 for both Windows and MacOS.
- Open the Preferences menu and tweak your import settings to use MP3 Encoder.
- Select the file you want to convert in your music library.
- Click File, then Convert, followed by Create MP3 Version.
And the rest of the work is done by iTunes.