The PS4 Dualshock 4 controller is a fantastic choice for a gamepad whose layout includes all the buttons that most controller-based PC games require, and you can even use its trackpad as a mouse input if you need to.
One of its greatest features was Sony’s commitment to making the DualShock 4 compatible with Windows-based PCs. There are more ways than ever to connect your DualShock 4 to your Windows PC.
CONNECT USING STEAM LINK APP
Steam supports the DS4 as a platform and offers native controller support. There might be some problems regarding setting up your controller but then it’s the most popular PC gaming portal and easy to use.
- Update your Steam client.
- Plug your controller into your PC.
- CONNECT USING DS4WINDOWS
This is the best option if you play games through Origin, UPlay, GoG, or other PC gaming portals without an adaptor. DS4Windows is a third-party application in either wired or wireless mode incase your PC has Bluetooth. DS4Windows tricks your system into believing it’s using an Xbox 360 controller, but you’ll still have access to motion controls and even the touchpad for many games.
- Download the latest version of DS4Windows from application’s official website.
- Extract it using an archive manager such as WinRAR or 7Zip. Two files will show up-DS4Windows and DS4Update.
- Double-click DS4Windows to run the installer.
- In the dialogue box follow the on-screen instructions beginning with a quick driver installation.
- The driver comes preloaded on Windows 8 and 10 devices or if you’re running Windows 7 or older click on Install 360 Driver.
- Plug the DualShock 4 into your PC using a Micro USB cable. This will also charge the DualShock 4 battery, but in order to use the DualShock 4 wirelessly, you’ll need to pair the controller with your PC using Bluetooth.
- Hold the PS Button on your DualShock 4 for three seconds.
- Open the Bluetooth settings on your PC.
- Connect to Wireless Controller.
- When prompted to input a pair code, enter “0000”.
- Click Finish on the DS4Windows installer.
CUSTOMIZING YOUR SETUP
The default controller profile should work for most recent PC games, especially if they’re designed to work with the Xbox controller already. You can adjust almost every facet of the controller, right down to the color of the LED light bar.
In case you are playing a game that isn’t easily adaptable to controllers you can create your own and customize it by altering the touchpad sensitivity, macros, and game-specific profiles.
STEPS TO TROUBLESHOOT DUALSHOCK4 CONTROLLER ISSUES
- Find Hide DS4 Controller under the settings tab. This is handy if your DualShock 4 is taking priority over other connected controllers.
- Select the button at the bottom of DS4Windows if the DualShock 4 isn’t working correctly while other input devices are connected.
- Now DS4Update will check for and automatically download the latest version of DS4Windows.
- CONNECT USING A SONY WIRELESS ADAPTER
This was considered the simplest and quickest method before DS4WINDOWS. Here’s how to set it up:
- Plug the adapter into your PC.
- Turn on your DualShock 4 controller and the two should automatically detect one another.
That’s it. You can adopt any of the above three options to connect your PC to PS4 controller.