To “print” a PDF just means to save something to a PDF file instead of to a physical piece of paper. Printing to a PDF is usually much faster than using a PDF converter tool, and is helpful not only for saving a web page offline but also so that you can share things in the very popular and widely acceptable PDF file format.
In MacOS and Linux, PDF printers are included by default. Also, Microsoft eventually added the feature to Windows 10. Whichever method you may use, printing to PDF in Windows is easy.
USING NATIVE TOOLS IN WINDOWS 10
- Go to print your document.
- Select Microsoft Print to PDF as your printer.
- Save the resulting file in a particular location. Choose the location and a name and click OK.
A new PDF is created.
STEPS TO SET UP MICROSOFT PRINT TO PDF
- Navigate to the Windows 10 Settings page in the Start menu.
- Click on Devices. The Printers & scanners menu opens which shows each printer available to the Windows 10 user.
- Click on Add a printer or scanner at the top of the window if it doesn’t show.
- Windows will attempt to find your elusive printer. Simply click on the printer that wasn’t listed prompt, which will appear shortly. This opens up a new window, one in which you can add a printer manually.
- Select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.
- In the next window, open the drop-down menu beside Use an existing port.
- Select FILE: (Print to File) and click Next.
- Choose Microsoft as the manufacturer.
- Then scroll down to highlight Microsoft Print to PDF before hitting Next again.
- When given the choice to replace the current driver or use the driver already installed use the current driver and select Next.
- After Windows 10 prompts you to name the print-to-PDF feature to assign it the default name so it’s easier to find.
- Click Next one last time to install the desired printer.
- Open the document or web page you wish to convert to PDF and navigate to the Print function.
- When prompted, select Microsoft Print to PDF in the list of printer destinations.
- Click Print to convert the file to PDF.
- Save the PDF document and give the file a name. Simply choose a save location on your storage drive, give it a unique name, and hit Save to create your PDF.
- Use one of these PDF editors to make any necessary changes.
USING A THIRD-PARTY APPLICATION
Many third-party software can offer an alternative way to “print” your documents into PDF form in case you want more advanced options. Some of which are:
- Adobe Acrobat