Gmail, an excellent free email service, has certain email sending limits and you are allowed to send a limited number of email messages per day. If you exceed this quota, Google may temporarily disable your Gmail account without any warnings and you may have to wait for up to 24 hours before you can regain access to your Gmail mailbox.
If you are someone who runs a couple of small businesses you might be facing various problems due to this restriction. Though Gmail is not designed for email marketing, yet it can be used for small scale advertisements.
GMAIL EMAIL LIMITS:
- Per day you can send up to 500 emails in case of ‘standard’ Gmail.
- In case you are using GSuite or Google’s Office Suite, you can send up to 2,000 emails per day. Here, you can auto-forward up to 10,000 emails and send emails to up to 2,000 individual addresses per email.
REASONS FOR NOT SENDING MARKETING EMAILS FROM YOUR USUAL EMAIL ADDRESS:
The spam problem is something that everyone with a Gmail account is aware of. Spam goes to the Spam folder and everything else goes to the Inbox and bulk emails for marketing purpose are often marked as spam.
If a particular email address results in an email being sent to trash all the time or marked as spam in recipient’s mailboxes, it counts against the sending email address. Too many marks against the address and it gets blocked or limited or gets disabled altogether.
This is why you shouldn’t consider using your normal email to send marketing emails.
WAYS TO MAKE SURE BULK MAIL DOESN’T GET MARKED AS SPAM:
- Authenticate your mail
- Include option to subscribe
- Include option to unsubscribe
- Format your mail
- Follow delivery tips
- Monitor third party senders
- Monitor affiliate marketers
EMAIL MARKETING FOR SMALL BUSINESSES:
You can use some dedicated services for this purpose. These services use simple dashboards where you can create email lists, the emails and then send and track them. You can also track engagement and how often your emails are consigned to trash, read or actioned too with the premium versions. Some of the Email marketing services that you can manage yourself include Mailchimp, Active Campaign, Constant Contact, and Drip.
PROCESS OF EMAIL MARKETING:
- Collect email addresses from social media engagement.
- Create a dedicated marketing email address to track your efforts.
- Create a marketing email with calls to action, links, and the usual stuff.
- Use an email marketing service to manage all of these emails.
- Design an attractive email template within the service and brand it.
- Add your email copy, calls to action and links.
- Add tracking if available to your calls to action and links.
- Assess the best time to send your email and schedule them for that time.
- Revisit your email campaign regularly and look at the stats.
- Modify future emails to take into account your findings.
BULK EMAIL CHECKLIST:
- A good quality email opt-in list must be used to prevent ending up in spam.
- Write good quality email copy to get your message across and to overcome our aversion to email marketing.
- You also need to be able to track the success or failure of your email so you can refine your next one.