Whether you’re an individual or a business, being known by something instantly recognizable is the key. It has become very important to have the same username for every single social media account as a part of free advertising. But what if your name of choice is already taken on Instagram? What is the account is inactive? Here’s the answer. Now can you claim your dream username before someone else does.
TWO TYPES OF INACTIVE NAMES ON INSTAGRAM:
- Somebody has taken the username and is inactive and hasn’t been posting for weeks, but it’s still there and you can see the account taken.
- You can see the account but you can’t still use the username. Somebody took the username and then either deleted the account or got it suspended for some reason.
WAYS TO CLAIM INACTIVE USERNAME THROUGH INDIRECT MEANS:
RENDER THE USERNAME USELESS:
If you want to use Instagram for marketing and have a specific surname or run a small business you can still convince the existing user to find another name. It might work, you never know.
Sign up for every other social media sites with that specific name and take the top level domain name for it too. As long as they haven’t got there first, you should be able to monopolize the name everywhere but Instagram. If the other user then wants to use the same name elsewhere, they can’t. If they want to use the same name elsewhere, they will have to surrender the Instagram account name you’re after.
WATCH OUT FOR INSTAGRAM DATABASE HOUSEKEEPING:
Instagram housekeeping refers to the periodic database cleanups the network runs to keep everything running smoothly. This is where the database is purged of inactive accounts, banned accounts, spam and fake accounts. This is the time when you have the opportunity to claim the username that might have been deleted.
Instagram doesn’t advertise when it does a database cleanup but you can know it. For example if you have over 3000 followers and you observe you are losing a number of followers in a single day then that nmeans Instagram has removed many inactive accounts from their database.
COME UP WITH ALTERNATIVE INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT NAMES:
It may not reflect your exact name or brand but is simpler, faster and cheaper than any of the above methods. This can help maintain your brand and add a quick local identifier which may work in your favor.
- You can combine your name with your main offering which will work for you.
- For example, if you’re a larger business or more established brand, adding ‘official’ at the end of your Instagram account name can work too.
- You could also use special characters or capitalization to differentiate your Instagram account name.
- If you’re running a business you could use a trending hashtag to generate a username that would resonate well for marketing.
TRADEMARK THE NAME:
Instagram has a copyright and trademark violation process you can use to claim that account name. The upside is that if you own the trademark, you can easily make your claim. The downside is getting a trademark can be a bit of a pain and can be time consuming and expensive.
- You have to fill out the online form for deactivating the user that violates your trademark so the username will be an empty username.
- Wait for an Instagram update to claim the inactive username as some of the updates may affect the database.