You can find Fitbit devices on wrists on millions of people globally. There are a lot of Fitbit options to choose from. Here’s a debate on how two of the most popular Fitbits, Charge 3 and the Versa, are better than each other. The Versa was released in early 2018 and the Charge 3 came out toward the end of that year.
SIMILARITIES IN BOTH DEVICES
- Connected GPS – With the help of your phones both can work out maps.
- Swim tracking – Swimming distance, laps, pace, and calories can be tracked and monitored on both.
- Activity tracking – Number of steps, calories burnt, distance covered, pulse rate, etc. can be tracked on both.
- Sleep tracking – Both can monitor your sleep at night or REM sleep.
- Wrist HRM – Both have a wrist heart rate sensor.
- Unisex construction – Both the devices are meant to suit the wrists of all genders.
- Multiple band options – Fitbit as well as others sell replacement bands for these devices.
- Smartphone alerts – Both are able to get notifications from certain apps on your phone.
- iOS/Android App – Both store all of your health and fitness data.
- Workouts – Both can monitor HIIT, cardio, yoga, etc. along with tracking just running, cycling and swimming.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FITBIT CHARGE 3 VS. VERSA
ITEM CHARGE 3 VERSA
Avg Price $150 $200
Design Bracelet Watch Style
Display Grey Scale Color
Battery Life Up to 7 Days Up to 5 Days
Music Storage No Yes — $300+ Songs
Music Providers n/a Personal, Pandora, Deezer
Fitbit App Gallery No Yes
Fitbit Coach No Yes
WHICH FITBIT DEVICE IS BETTER?
DEPENDING ON LOOKS: BOTH
- Charge 3 is a thin band with a physical button on the side. Charge 3 has a monochrome display compared to the Versa’s color LCD.
- You can swipe across from the sides of the display to access fitness tracking features. To go back, press the side of Charge 3. The Versa has three physical buttons that let you go back, start or stop activities, and make selections.
- Charge 3 has fewer watch faces to choose from than the Versa. Versa has extra brightness setting to choose from which Charge 3 lacks making it difficult to see outdoors.
- It’s a lot easier to swap the straps out on the Charge 3 than it is the Versa.
- Each display is coated in Gorilla Glass 3 to protect against scratches and bumps.
DEPENDING ON FITNESS TRACKING FEATURES: VERSA
- Both Fitbits have an optical heart rate sensor, sleep tracking, female health tracking and water resistance to 50 meters.
- Charge 3 lets you put six different workout shortcuts on the exercise screen, while the Versa gives you space for seven shortcuts. The Versa has lots of third-party apps available.
- The Versa comes with the Coach app but on Charge 3, you’ll need to use the Fitbit Coach app on your phone.
DEPENDING ON SMARTWATCH FEATURES: VERSA
- Fitbit Pay is a mobile wallet that lets you tap to pay with NFC at compatible terminals. It’s only available if you buy the special edition of both.
- The Versa is the only one that can store music. It has space for around 300 songs.
- If you prefer a streaming service, the only two options available are Pandora and Deezer.
- There are also many more third-party apps available on the Versa than there were when it first launched. Charge 3 doesn’t have third-party apps.
DEPENDING ON BATTERY LIFE: CHARGE 3
- On Charge 3 you’ll get around six to seven full days before you need to charge it again, while the Versa gives you around four full days.
DEPENDING ON PRICE: BOTH
Charge 3 costs $150 for the regular edition and $20 more gets you the special edition with Fitbit Pay and extra bands.
The Versa is $200 and the special edition, also with Fitbit Pay, costs $30 more.
You can get them for around the same price at certain times of the year, due to discounts.